Friday, March 12, 2010

Thoughts on Communion

I come, O Savior, to Thy table,
for weak and weary is my soul;
Thou, Bread of Life, alone art able,
To satisfy and make me whole:
Lord may Thy body and Thy blood
be for my soul the highest good!

I can recall an instance before I was Lutheran when I felt guilty for taking communion. As a confessional Lutheran, I realize that I was really receiving nothing when I took communion back then, whereas now I am receiving His Body and Blood. Why then, when I am receiving so much now and not feeling guilty for taking it, did I then feel guilty for receiving communion when it was nothing?

Now, when I receive communion, I no longer feel put under the Law. I know that I am forgiven all my sins, and I am so thankful that God's mercies are never-ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment