Sunday, March 7, 2010

On My Heart Imprint Your Image

On my heart imprint your image,
Blessed Jesus, King of grace,
That life's riches, cares, and pleasures
Never may Your work erase;
Let the clear inscription be:
Jesus crucified for me,
Is my life, my hope's foundation,
And my glory and salvation!


by Thomas Hansen Kingo, 1634-1703 (Lutheran Service Book, 422)

This is my kind of song. It is not full of verses about what I am going to do, but is full of Christ's work for me. What is it that I can do that avails before God? Absolutely nothing, so why bother singing a song about it? Christianity is unique because it is not about what we do, it is about what Jesus has done, and continues to do on our behalf. With songs such as this we praise the Lord, "proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, and telling all your wondrous deeds." Psalm 26:7

No comments:

Post a Comment