Monday, February 20, 2012

Who am I?

This weekend I watched Iron Man 2 with John. I have to say that Iron Man is not my favorite superhero. Although the movie had an interesting plot, Iron Man himself is too cocky for my taste. His highest good is his own pleasure, not the good of others. I got to thinking about it, and decided that he is the perfect superhero for our time. Thinking highly of ourselves is currently promoted as a virtue, with the happiness of self as the ultimate goal. Yet the opposite of a narcissism is not "beating yourself up." That is still focusing on the self. Contrast this with humility, which is an honest self-assessment (which frees the person from self-obsession). So, who am I? I am a poor, miserable sinner, as well as a saint-forgiven by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and dearly loved by God. That is a self-assessment I can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment