Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you on this 5th day of Christmas! No, Christmas isn't over at our house, yet. We observe it until Epiphany, which is on January 6. So, the tree stays up until Epiphany (Jan. 6). Let the carols ring, as in my new favorite verse (2) of "Now Sing We, Now Rejoice":

"Come from high to me; I cannot rise to Thee.
Cheer my wearied spirit, O pure and holy Child;
Thro' Thy grace and merit, Blest Jesus, Lord most mild,
Draw me unto Thee! Draw me unto Thee!" LSB #386

What a beautiful picture of what Christmas is all about. Not about my heart, or my spirit rising to God in worship, but first and foremost about Christ coming to us. We have nothing to offer Him, but He gave up everything and appeared to us. Through His grace and merit can we have fellowship with the Triune God. Indeed, oh come, let us worship Him!

[4] But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, [5] he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, [6] whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, [7] so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
(Titus 3:4-7 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment