Sunday, July 25, 2010

Proclaiming Christ Crucified

Yesterday Stan and I were laughing about a time I recalled when he wasn't sure he looked good in black. I reassured him that he did, and that black was very "in". Little did we know back then that he would be wearing black a lot in the future. He says that it simplifies his life: "Should I wear black, black, or black this Sunday?"Yet whether he thinks he looks good in black or not is not important; he is not up there to preach about himself, but Jesus Christ.

I had the privilege of hearing him preach his first sermon today. I look forward to many years of hearing him proclaim Christ for the forgiveness of our sins, in the rich variety of ways that the Biblical text allows.

For where Christ is not preached, there is no Holy Spirit who creates, calls, and gathers the Christian Church, without which no one can come to Christ the Lord.
(Large Catechism, Part II The Apostles Creed, section 45)


For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified....and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2:2, 4-5

Here is a link to a well-written article on what makes a good sermon, entitled "A Listeners Guide to the Pulpit", by Pastor Todd Wilken.

No comments:

Post a Comment