Sunday, November 8, 2009

Frugal Fall Idea




This year we continued our fall habit of getting pie pumpkins and decorating them with permanent markers. Lindsay took the decorating to a new level with the hats and scarves. After enjoying them as home decor, I scooped out the seeds, cut them in half, and baked them for 45 minutes at 450 degrees in a pan with 1/2 inch water. The skin peeled off easily; then I pureed them in the food processor and made 2 pumpkin pies for Stan's birthday. (Happy birthday, Stan!) I froze the remaining 2 cups for future use. After rinsing the seeds and allowing them to dry overnight, I tossed them in butter and salt, and roasted them at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Yummy, and the pumpkins only cost a total of $3. My kind of deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment